Friday, 10 October 2008

How Do You Buy Yours?

Thought I would start a discussion topic here. I am interested to know how you buy your crafting products. Do you like to visit a 'bricks and mortar' shop or buy online or at trade shows or via TV shopping channels?

I like to visit the 'high street' craft shop to a) support local businesses and b) have the opportunity to touch the product, feel the weight, feel the texture and see how the crafting item works. It is also handy to have staff on hand should you require any advice. However, the convenience of shopping on-line means you can shop 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, sometimes with free postage offered and fairly quick delivery. This means no hassle driving to the shops and spending a fortune in car parking charges for the length of time I end up browsing around the store.

What do you think of trade shows? I love attending these as all the craft businesses are together in one place. You can watch demonstrations, ask questions, see the product etc, but you end up spending pounds in one hefty go. Do you think the organisers should charge such large admission fees for these events? I mean, you are going there to spend your money on scrummy new crafting product with all the retailers exhibiting there, should you have to pay admission too?

On the other hand, do you prefer to shop via TV shopping channels? Do you video the demonstrations, do you like the assortment in the kits offered? Do you find them value for money or are the kits too large with many items included you may never use?

Please leave your comments.

2 comments:

ink'n'rubba said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me a lovely comment. Here where I am in Cornwall there isn't a local craft shop so it's a 30 minute car drive to the nearest and they are nearly all Do Crafts stockists so limited choices, hence I do alot of shopping on line. We have 2 craft shows a year at Exeter which are within reasonable distance to go to and make a day out, although they are limited to what is available. I love watching the craft shows and tv and have occasionally ordered a tsv but only if it's something I really can't live without!
hugs, annie x

Hazel said...

I stay in Arbroath on the east coast. I tend to shop via QVC, Internet shops or ebay for my crafty stuff. My local craft shop only stocks a limited amout of stuff and when I asked for antistatic bags for heat embossing she didn't know what I was talking about!!!! Don't do craft shows as have a panic disorder and can't go very far from home. Would love to go though. Love watching craft on TV as it gives me great ideas. Hope this is some help.
Hazel xox